Welcome to my first ‘2 in 1’ post! I’ll be sharing two recipes in this one post…homemade noodles and chicken noodle soup. So this past weekend, it was cold and snowy and we had a little girl in the house with the sniffles. I decided a comforting chicken noodle soup was the perfect meal for dinner! I was going to take the easier route and make it with store bought noodles (that I even picked up when shopping earlier in the day), but I couldn’t bring myself to do it! Once you’ve had soup with homemade noodles you just won’t want it any other way! And on that note, do you know how easy it is to make homemade noodles? Goodness…so simple! I use my pasta maker for mine, but you can certainly make them without one too! The pasta maker helps me get the dough thinner without having to do so much rolling and flipping of the dough.
I’m wondering if I should get rewarded in some way for how much advertising I do for Crate and Barrel, because yep…that’s also where my pasta maker came from 🙂 I’ve been very happy with this and it has helped make my family some delicious pasta and noodles! Check it out here if you’re looking for one to put in your kitchen! But first, check out the simple recipe for homemade noodles below!
Homemade Noodles *Double or triple this recipe as needed
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 tsp Salt (I only use 1/4 tsp)
- 1 cup Flour
- 2 Tbsp Milk
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg.
- Add salt and milk and stir well.
- Gradually add flour to make a stiff dough.
- Roll into ball and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Divide and roll very thin to put through your pasta maker as directed. If you are not using a pasta maker, simply use a proper cutting tool to cut noodles to desired length.
- Allow noodles to dry another 10 minutes and cook in boiling water, broth or soup until tender.
Part two…the chicken noodle soup! I have a recipe for a creamy chicken noodle soup that made me think I liked that better than the traditional soup, but then I made this and there’s just no question…you can’t beat good old fashioned chicken noodle soup! The recipe is very easy to follow and full of flavor! Adding it to the regular dinner menu at home is one way to improve the cold Winter months! If you’re looking for a delicious comfort meal, look just a little further down and check out the recipe 🙂
Chicken Noodle Soup
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 2 cups homemade noodles
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat butter and olive oil.
- Add onion, celery, carrots, garlic and thyme. Season with salt and pepper to taste and cook until vegetables soften, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken broth and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in chicken and noodles and simmer until noodles are cooked. (time will depend on the thickness of your noodles – I like to taste test to confirm they are ready :))
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve immediately.
As always, thanks for reading!!