Chips are a bit of a weakness of mine…I love them on their own, in nachos, dips, salsas, queso….you get it. So when I find a recipe to incorporate them in a healthier way, it’s a win! This salsa will be especially perfect in the Summer; it has a great refreshing taste and beautiful vibrant colors! Speaking of Summer, it kind of felt that way around here today! We nearly hit 60 degrees in February! However, it’s back to Winter reality tomorrow with a high of 30…Ohio. Let’s just stay on the salsa topic shall we? 🙂
To start, chop your tomatoes, onion, avocados and jalapeno (A quick tip I read from another great blog, Cooking Classy, rinse your onion under cold water to lessen the harshness of the flavor). Add all chopped ingredients to a mixing bowl.
In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together your olive oil, lime juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Once everything is well combined, pour the mixture over the chopped vegetables. I’ll give a quick shout out to my lovely step daughter who helped me take this photo by pouring the mixture into the bowl. She was happy to help and afterwards said “I like being a model” That silly girl! =)
Finally, add your cilantro and gently toss until all ingredients are well mixed. Serve with your choice of tortilla chips and enjoy! For the exact measurements of everything, check out the recipe below!
- 6 medium roma tomatoes (20 oz), seeded and diced
- 1 cup chopped red onion, chopped
- 1 large or 2 small jalapenos, seeded and chopped (1/4 cup. Leave seeds if you like heat)
- 3 medium avocados, semi-firm but ripe, peeled, cored and diced
- 3 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 tsp salt (more or less to taste as desired)
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves, chopped
- Chop tomato, onion, avocado and jalapeno and add to large mixing bowl.
- In a separate small mixing bowl, whisk together olive oil, lime juice, garlic, salt and pepper until mixture is well combined.
- Pour over avocado mixture, add cilantro and gently toss mixture to evenly coat.
- Serve with tortilla chips or Mexican entrees.
As always, thanks for reading!!