This is a go to recipe with my family when I need something quick and simple, yet delicious and pretty for dinner! I always buy my ingredients for this meal at Trader Joes; I love this little store and I’m lucky enough to have one less than 10 minutes from our home. The produce is always fresh and they have a great variety of fun and unique finds!
So, the Caprese Rigatoni…I will tell you even my picky step-daughter loves this! Whenever I try something new that she really enjoys that recipe immediately goes into my recipe box! I have made this a handful of times now and it always turns out well!
- 1 lb. uncooked rigatoni
- 6 small fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1 12-ounce can crushed or diced tomatoes
- 2½ cups your favorite jarred tomato sauce
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup fresh basil, torn or sliced into ribbons
- ½ block grated cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Cook rigatoni according to directions on package. Drain and set aside. Preheat broiler.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Saute onion and garlic over medium high heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring so the garlic doesn’t burn.
- Add crushed tomatoes and fresh tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly.
- Add half of the basil and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat and add to the pasta.
- Pour in tomato sauce and stir to combine (you can add more sauce until it’s saucy enough for you if you). Pour into a baking dish or skillet.
- Top with shredded cheese and place under broiler for 5-8 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Sprinkle with remaining fresh basil and serve.
Enjoy and let me know how you like (or love) it!
As always, thanks for reading!