Can I just share my excitement for the official arrival of Spring for a quick minute? Oh how I’ve been waiting for my favorite seasons to come back around! Today is a lovely sunny day and expected highs are in the mid 60’s this afternoon! Fresh air blowing through the open windows of our home? Yes, please! I will be enjoying today to the fullest, because although it’s Spring I do still live in Ohio and the high for tomorrow is in the 40’s…sigh! Still, moving into a new season filled with great weather and pretty flowers to come makes me happy! To start the beautiful day, I wanted to make a healthy and filling breakfast for my husband and me!
Simple and healthy, a combination I love, love love! Simple and healthy explains this breakfast of baked eggs perfectly! A little bit of prep, quick saute of vegetables, crack your eggs and pop it in the oven!
I just purchased a new cast iron skillet that’s great for breakfast and worked wonderfully for this one! Can you guess where I bought it? Yes, the one and only Crate and Barrel…did a little shopping yesterday and bought two things I ‘needed’ and two things I wanted! Hey, that’s pretty good, right? 🙂 If you haven’t cooked with cast iron before I really recommend it! In addition to being a healthy form of cooking, I’m a big fan of the ability to safely move it from stove top to oven! One thing to note, cast iron is heavy cookware! For some people that makes it harder to work with and may be a deterrent.
Check out the recipe below, add some toast & fruit and enjoy a delicious breakfast (or lunch or dinner)! I am off to open the windows and enjoy the afternoon! Our kitties will be just as happy as we are to do that! Happy Spring!!
Baked Eggs with Spinach, Onion & Tomatoes
*Amounts of vegetables and seasoning can all be based on preference.
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Yellow Onion, diced
- Pinch of crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 5-7 Grape Tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup Baby Spinach Leaves
- Freshly Cracked Pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp water
- 2 eggs
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Dice onion, slice tomatoes and measure spinach.
- In a small oven proof skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and cook onions and red pepper flakes for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add tomatoes and spinach and season with pepper to taste. Stir to coat evenly and remove from heat.
- Spread the vegetables to the sides of the pan and add water to help prevent vegetables from burning.
- Crack eggs in the center of the skillet and season with pepper and parmesan cheese.
- Place skillet in the oven and bake for 7-10 minutes. (watch this closely and remove from oven once the egg whites are set, but the yolk is still runny; mine baked a little too long)
- Remove from oven, top with additional cheese if desired and serve immediately.
As always, thanks for reading!!