Avocado Caprese toast is a perfect snack and, for me, one I made in the Winter to pretend for just a moment it was Summer! I discovered this ‘recipe’ a few days ago and didn’t want to wait for warmer weather to give it a try. I’m really looking forward to making it again with straight from the garden ingredients. Didn’t I just talk about time flying in my last post? So is it June yet? It’s okay, don’t answer that. 🙂 We’ll get back to the topic at hand distracting ourselves from the frigid weather outside and before we know it tulips will be blooming! Avocado caprese toast has three major selling points: it’s healthy, quite tasty and rated very easy on the skill level chart. You might need 10 minutes start to finish. Fourth selling point? It’s easily portable to satisfy the inevitable afternoon cravings at the office. The avocado is mixed with lemon juice which should keep it fresh throughout the day and prevent browning. Please note the word ‘should’. I cleverly phrased it that way in case the lemon juice in fact is only included for taste! Oh, fifth selling point? Drizzling balsamic glaze is fun! You may see a recipe trend on my blog soon allowing me to practice and improve my balsamic glaze design 🙂
To get the most health benefits, I recommend using a whole wheat or multi-grain bread and organic produce at least for the tomatoes and basil. You can get away with non-organic when it comes to fruits and veggies with a protective shell like bananas, oranges and you guessed it, avocados! Tomatoes are included in the almighty list of Superfoods so don’t hesitate to pile a few more on top for extra antioxidant power!
Happy snacking, friends!
Avocado Caprese Toast
- 2 Avocados
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 4 slices whole wheat or multi-grain bread, toasted
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1 cup Tomatoes (I used grape due to Season, but will slice a large tomato in Summer)
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, chopped
- Balsamic Glaze, for fun drizzling
- Slice the avocados in half and remove the pit. Scoop the good stuff into a mixing bowl. Add lemon juice, salt and pepper and mash the ingredients together.
- Toast your bread in the toaster or under the broiler in the oven. Spread the avocado mixture over each slice and top with mozzarella, tomatoes and basil. Drizzle balsamic glaze. Serve immediately.
*Note – the ingredient amounts for tomatoes, basil and mozzarella can easily be left to preference. Recipe above will make 4 servings. Enjoy!
As always, thanks for reading!!