First of all, are you wondering what a crostini is exactly? When I found this recipe from another great blog, Joyful Healthy Eats , via Pinterest I thought “Avocado Crostini? I have no idea what that means, but it looks delicious!” Now that I have tried it and must share as well I decided to look up the definition of Crostini and it all makes sense now: ‘Crostino is an Italian appetizer consisting of a small slice of grilled or toasted bread and toppings.’ Italian, of course it’s good! Plus, it’s made with some of my favorites vegetables (or fruits – tomatoes and avocados are tricky little foods, technically a fruit, eaten as a veggie?) 🙂 Either way, they seem to be making a regular appearance on my blog lately; it’s almost like I’m hoping making new dishes that would be great for the Summer will bring warm weather our way! A girl can hope, right? As I sit by the fireplace and write this post, we’re at a beyond chilly 1 degree outside! On the up side, it’s no longer snowing and the sun is shining! Back to delicious food…
This avocado crostini would be a great appetizer at a party or good snack on a weekend afternoon! It’s really simple to make, tastes great and has some worthy health benefits with ingredients like tomatoes, avocado and olive oil! This is a great base recipe too that could be modified to make various toppings for your toasted bread!
Check out the recipe below and enjoy! Oh, if you have any tips for getting kids to eat tomatoes and avocados do share! The hope continues, right? The picky 11 year old in our home just won’t believe me when I tell her she’s missing out on great food 🙂
- 4 avocados, diced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- ¼ cup of fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 1 Tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 4 oz. of fresh mozzarella, diced
- Pepper to taste
- 1 loaf of crunchy bread (Italian Round or Ciabatta)
- Dice avocados, tomatoes and mozzarella cheese, chop fresh basil and add to large mixing bowl.
- Add garlic powder, olive oil and pepper, stir gently to combine.
- Slice the loaf of crunchy bread into ½” slices and toast under broiler for 3-5 minutes.
- Top each bread slice with desired amount of avocado mixture and Enjoy!
As always, thanks for reading!