One of many things I love about Summer is switching it up a bit with sides to our dinners! I try to keep from cooking the same meals over and over, but our side dishes tend to always be rice and steamed vegetables or potatoes and a salad. We do keep it exciting though with multiple kinds of rice and potatoes cooked different ways (are you catching the clever sarcasm accompanying that sentence?) 🙂 One dish in particular I’ve been wanting to try is coleslaw; a perfect side for those Summer BBQ dinners on the deck!
I don’t know what it is, but I love eating outside; nice weather just makes everything more enjoyable. And you know what? The family seems to stick around at the dinner table a little while longer when we eat outside 🙂 We really enjoyed this recipe and it’s one I’ll make again before the Summer is over. I also plan to make this next time we have shredded BBQ chicken sandwiches, because my husband and I both agreed topping our sandwich with this coleslaw would be a delicious experience!
Next on the list is a refreshing broccoli salad made with broccoli, cauliflower and carrots tossed in a greek yogurt honey dressing so stay tuned, but enjoy this recipe in the meantime 🙂
- ¾ – 1 cup miracle whip (I used ¾)
- 1½ – 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (I used 2)
- 1 Tbsp honey
- ¾ tsp celery seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ medium green cabbage, thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- ½ medium red cabbage, thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled; sliced or grated
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk miracle whip, vinegar, honey, celery seeds, salt and pepper until well combined.
- Slice cabbage and carrots and add to the mixing bowl with dressing. Gently toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. (May be made up to 8 hours ahead of time)
As always, thanks for reading!!